Counselling in Aylsham, north Norfolk
Counselling offers a safe, confidential and supportive place in which to build on your strengths to create the changes you need.
You may feel under stress, or have particular emotional or relationship issues you feel need resolving. These may be causing you anxiety and affecting your confidence, mood, and ability to cope.
Counselling is a supportive environment in which to explore issues together and ways of addressing them.
It is also about coming to understand yourself better, so there is more clarity, greater self-acceptance and a better relationship with yourself.
It is natural, healthy and a positive step forward to seek help when you can’t sort things out on your own. Far from being a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength.
Communication is the way we relate to people. This means if there are difficulties in communicating with each other there will be difficulties in the relationship as well. More positively, it means if you can improve one then the other should improve too. This is where counselling helps.
Relationships go through stages. When we first meet someone everything is often wonderful. We have an image of each other that may be, to some extent, based on fantasy – we see what we want to see. As this stage passes then the fantasy wears off and we are faced with the reality of each other. This can cause anxiety and uncertainty and put the relationship under strain.
If you are worried about your own relationship there are a few important questions you can ask yourself.
- When you talk to your partner do they seem not to ‘hear’ you or understand you – do you feel you’re hitting a brick wall?
- Does your talking together become repetitive – you go round and round in circles?
- After you’ve talked do you feel confused, let down, frustrated?
- Do you only talk for a few minutes before it turns into an argument?
- Are you afraid that if you bring up a certain subject things will get even worse?
- Are there some issues that are seldom if ever talked about but which you both know are there?
Differences are normal. Being able to resolve them by really listening to each other, being able to negotiate and compromise are the tricky things with which we can need help through counselling.