I work with both individuals and couples in Aylsham, north Norfolk. Having been in practice nearly four decades I am one of the UK’s longest-serving psychotherapists. I am co-author of the popular self-help book I Just Want To Be Happy.
I have appeared on Meridian TV in discussions on psychotherapy and have been interviewed by Anglia TV on the topic ‘Can Money Make You Happy?’ I have presented numerous workshops on self-development and on recovery from childhood trauma. In 1990 I was the first person to be awarded a British degree in hypnotherapy, which led the way towards its wider acceptance as a positive tool for change. For many years I have also done innovative hypnotherapy work with stress-related irritable bowel syndrome.
My way of working is technically known as integrative. This means I have trained in several approaches (rather than just one), so I will tend to use whichever approach seems most useful for you.
My approach has developed from my years of training, my later work as a senior tutor on counselling and therapy courses, my extensive work with counselling organisations and, most of all, my work with thousands of clients since 1985. It has also been shaped by my life experiences and my own personal journey as a client in therapy.
I draw on all those experiences in my regular blogs. Do feel free to post comments on them.
- I have a degree from the University of East London, a Diploma in Psychology (with a research module) from London University, and a qualification (Cert. Ed. with Distinction) to teach in further and higher education.
- For four years I was a policy advisor to the 50,000-member British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, helping to shape the direction of counselling in Britain. I am also a past Chair of the BACP’s large South London Branch.
- I am an Accredited Member of that organisation and abide by their Code of Ethics.
- I served for two years on the Governing Council of the National Register of Hypnotherapists and Psychotherapists.
- For six years I was the senior lecturer on degree-level counselling courses at Bexley College in Kent.
- I have been a tutor for the Central School of Counselling and Therapy, the London School of Counselling and Psychotherapy, and specialist lecturer in psychodynamic counselling at the University of East London.